Well, I guess since Halloween is sufficiently behind us I should probably post about the costumes I made! Better late than never seems to be the motto of my life, just sayin'!
First up, my nephew's orange and green dinosaur costume! Let me start by saying that I love love love this costume. I doubt I will get around to putting a review up on PR so this will have to suffice. I used Simplicity 1765. This costume was incredibly easy to make. I really did not have any issues sewing it other than it called for a 14" zipper and I made one of the smaller sizes and it was about 1" smaller than it should have been. I would definitely have needed a longer zipper for one of the larger sizes.
|Look at that tail!|
2.5 yards orange fleece
.5 yard green felt
.5 yard orange felt
.5 bag of poly fiber fill
The tail uses quite a bit of fiber fill and ends up being pretty heavy. You can tell by looking at the neck of the picture on the right. See how it is pulling it down a bit? While the tail is awesome it really is the only downfall of this costume. Other than it being heavy it makes it impossible for a child to wear this costume while riding in a car. My poor nephew had to change in and out of his costume every time he went to a different relatives house.
Next up, that creeper is my husband! We hosted our 2nd Annual Murder Mystery Halloween Party and it was again a success. The game we played this year had a cast of classic Halloween characters like Dracula, Frankenstein, Gomez and Morticia Addams and the Wicked Witch. My husband prefers to be the host of the party and not play, that way he can make sure everything runs smoothly. Since he was the host he decided to dress up as Sammy Terry. If you are like me you have no idea who that is. He was/is a local horror movie host at right. I think we did a pretty great job on this costume. My husband made his mask and my Wicked Witch mask. I made the cape, franken-patterning style. The hood is actually from my nephew's dinosaur costume. The cape portion is from OOP Simplicity 9452. I used 1.5 yards of red knit from the stash.
Next up, Christmas sewing. Unfortunately, I won't be able to post any of it for a while. :(