Well, it's that time of year again when I go costuming crazy! By now you would think I would learn to anticipate this and, like any organized person, plan accordingly. I will say that this year I seem to be a little more prepared than usual! But you would think that after saying I needed to make a new costume 8 months ago I would have started prepping then. Ahh, the life of a procrastinating seamstress!
Don't let the color of the sketch fool you, it will be a sage-ish olive green. I just didn't have a colored pencil of that shade. The samples of fabric and trims are in the top left corner. This costume is going to be intense! It will be more individual pieces than I have ever made in a single faire season. I just hope that 3 months is enough time to get it all done.
The sleeves are exactly the same ones I used on the peacock dress. I am using the OOP Simplicity 4508 this year. In the picture it is the black and gold dress. I am only making minor changes to the design of the pattern. First, I am eliminating the poof on the sleeve and going with a cap. I am keeping the open sleeve but eliminating the undersleeve. I am going to leave it open so that the sleeves of my chemise will show. Why would I do that? Two reasons: 1) It is crazy hot every time we go in September. 2) I am going to be doing some black work on my chemise and really want it to be seen. The underskirt and inside of the sleeves are going to be made of a gold pintuck drapery fabric and each pintuck is going to have a pearl hand sewn onto it. I debated for a bit about doing some sort of beading inside each diamond shape as well but for now I think I will stick with just the pearls on the pintuck. I will be making a new standing ruff this year. I found a few tutorials that I pinned about making one. I am also going to make a new necklace this year. I want to make my own version of the Anne Boleyn signature necklace only with a "C" instead of the "B". I am going to do a belt of pearls and possibly crystals or metal, not sure on that yet.
I have started purchasing a few things as they go on sale but not much so far. Granted I am only a week into this so I am sure the purchases will speed up pretty soon. Yesterday I purchased the main gold fabric at Jo-Ann's. It was red tag for $6.00 a yard and the red tags are currently on sale for 50% off! Score! I bought 4 yards and they only rang it up as 3 yards. Double score!! I also picked up the only package of glass pearls they had in the color and size I want for the underskirt. Luckily, Meijer also sells the exact same brand and I can get more there too. I also picked up some chain and wooden "C''s to make my Boleyn necklace. I think that I may take the pearl necklace I made before and use some of those pearls for this new necklace. I also got a big metal charm that has lots of crystals inside that will be hanging from the end of my pearl belt. The main green fabric is going to be a micro-suede from the home decor department. It is $25.00 a yard and I need like 6 yards, so I need to catch it on an amazing sale! I also found a few similar shades/textures on Fabric.com for much much less, like $7.00 a yard less, that I need to order samples of first.
Before I can actually start any of that I need to make new foundation pieces! I am using Simplicity 2621 for the corset and hoop skirt. My hoop current skirt is r-o-u-g-h! As evidenced by the wardrobe malfunction of 2009. I am thinking I may rip out the boning that is in the old one, even though I didn't make it, and put it in my new one just so I can save some money because I like expensive boning and the hoop skirt needs 15 yards of it. My previous costume didn't have a corset because I just boned the bodice, but I have decided it is high time I make a good corset. Luckily, I already have fabric in my stash that will work for this. The only things I need to order are my busk and my boning. The corset is the first piece I need to make. My bumroll is still in perfectly good condition so I do not need to make a new one. I am not going to make the chemise from this pattern since I want the sleeves to have much much more volume. I will make sure to do several posts along the way about the pieces I am making.
Eric and I are also working out the details of his new costume, but it will include slops. But I prefer to call them puffy pants! This weekend and probably part of next week I am going to do a few other minor projects that have been on my to do list for sometime before I completely amerce myself into all things renaissance costume!