I am back after my brief blogging hiatus. I have so much to share now so this is going to be a long post! The last couple of weeks of October were unbelievably productive for me. My sewing studio has been a hot mess! Here is a breakdown of what happened.
Fabric in: 29 yards
4.5 yds red, navy, white and beige plaid wool
1 yd silver stripe
2 yds tiger velboa
.5 yd white velboa
8.5 yds white twill
7 yds white Kona cotton
3 yds black with blue pinstripe suiting
2.5 yds tan lining
Fabric out: 27 yards
6.5 yds Santa Sack Swap projects
2.5 yds velboa
8.5 yds white twill
4 yds light blue moleskin from stash
5.5 yds white Kona cotton
I would say a 2 yard difference is perfectly acceptable for the month! Especially since the plaid wool I bought will be used this month! More on that in a minute, let's get to some pictures first!
Eric and I hosted our 1st annual murder mystery dinner and it was a great time. We will be doing it again next year. For his costume he wanted to be a ghost, so, I made a 3 piece suit! That's right, I said 3 piece suit. I used Simplicity 4083 for the jacket and vest and I used my TNT pj pant pattern B5153 for the pants. Sorry the picture quality is so poor. I took this at the end of the evening, so there was no natural light and the costume was incredibly wrinkled. This pattern was very quick and turned out quite nicely! For the pants I pressed a very crisp fold down the center and no one even guessed they were elastic waisted pants. For this costume I used the 8.5 yds of white cotton twill, 3-1" white buttons, 7-5/8" white buttons, 3 yds of white fusible interfacing and about 1 yd of 1" white elastic.
For work we had a Halloween party and had to dress up as a movie character. I chose to be Alice from the Disney cartoon version of Alice in Wonderland. This costume was actually made on the evening of Sunday October 30th, the night before Halloween. I must say I am impressed that I finished this! For this costume I used McCall's 4948. Materials wise I used 4 yds of light blue moleskin that has been in my stash for years, 5.5 yds white Kona cotton, 3 yds 1.5" wide white satin ribbon, 6 yds of 1/2" horsehair braid and 1 22" blue zipper. I made a few changes to this pattern. First, I added a collar to the neckline since Alice's dress has one. I also added .5" in length to the bodice and took off 4" from the skirt length. I redrafted the back of the skirt using the pattern from the front so that the gathers would be more even throughout the dress. Lastly, I added a couple of layers of the cotton for and underskirt to match Alice's but also to give the dress a little more fullness. All layers of the skirt were then hemmed using the horsehair braid to give it the wavy look. I love this costume! So much so that I am kinda sad I will probably only wear it the one time.
This is probably my absolute most favorite thing we have made this season at work! It is a raincoat costume for a school that is doing Singing in the Rain! The fabric is not my most favorite choice but the overall look of the coat is fantastic. All of the seamstresses love it so much we are going to have a sew along and contest between ourselves. We are all getting our own custom sized pattern pieces for it and will have until our Christmas party to complete it and a coordinating dress. I have a couple of ideas that I am debating over. First, since the basic design of the coat gives off a 60's vibe I was thinking about going along that route and making a vintage inspired ensemble. I am not sure on the details like colors or patterns though. My second idea is to go military inspired, by adding tabs to the shoulders and the cuffs and also making it a double breasted jacket. For this version I want to use a lightweight navy wool with gold metal buttons. I was even thinking about making the collar a little larger and adding buttons to it as well. I am not sure about the coordinating dress just yet though. I am excited to get started on this project but I am on a self imposed Jo-Ann's/fabric buying break until Black Friday.